The 1880s was a time of new development in the locality, largely prompted by the coming of the railway and cheap travel to London. Early pioneers saw the need of a Church, and the Avenue Hall was built in Main Avenue in 1887. This is now the Wheatsheaf Hall owned by the Council and used for community purposes. 1887 is regarded as the year the Church was started (with centenary celebrations in 1987) but it did not become a Congregational Church until 1902 with affiliation to the then London Congregational Union. The present site was purchased in 1903, and the buildings constructed in 1909 in less than 5 months. The Hall, kitchen and another room were built in 1932. Air raid shelters adjoining the hall were added during World War II and are now used for storage. The whole building has been completely re-roofed in the last ten years with refurbishment of toilet facilities and kitchen carried out in 2008. During 2020 and 2021 the church hall was completely refurbished inside and is now used by various organisations. We consider ourselves to be moderate and adaptable in our worship neither charismatic nor ultra-traditional, with a strong emphasis on scripture and Biblical teaching.
Bush Hill Park United Reformed Church believes that safeguarding is the responsibility of everyone and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all those who are vulnerable (children, young people and adults at risk).
We expect all of our leaders, volunteers and those who use our premises to share this commitment and value the support of those who worship here in achieving this.
Our Safeguarding Policy can be viewed here: BHPURC Safeguarding Policy April 2022 Page 6 contains emergency contact information should you have a concern.